National Yang-Ming University, Education Center for Humanities and Social Sciences
Wanted: Two contract-based English teachers
Deadline for applications: Monday, April 30, 2018
Reasons for hiring:
- Teaching English courses to undergraduate and graduate students
- Research and service related work
Number of positions: Two contract-based teachers
Contract-based teachers will be hired as full-time teachers and will be employed by the university, on a yearly contract with the possibility of renewal, in accordance with the university’s regulations regarding contract-based teachers, researchers, and staff (http://pnl.web.ym.edu.tw/ezfiles/144/1144/img/1563/125878880.pdf)
- Applicants must have a Ph.D. degree and excel in teaching English. Applicants should be enthusiastic about teaching, and be able to actively participate in team work.
- Applicants with the ability to teach in English and with college-level teaching experience will be preferred.
- Applicants should be able to either:
- teach English for writing, English for presentations, and other courses that aim to improve academic English skills to students in the STEM fields (science, technology, engineering, medicine); or
- teach courses in the medical humanities.
- Applicants who have published in excellent domestic and/or international journals will be preferred.
- Foreign applicants with Chinese language skills (speaking, reading, listening, and writing) will be preferred.
Application will be accepted until Monday, April 30, 2018
Starting date: February 1, 2019
Application materials should be submitted electronically as one PDF file with a table of contents.
The file name should begin with the applicant’s name as in the following example: Smith John Application for Full-time Contract-based Teaching Position. Note: Recommendation letters should be sent separately.
- A photocopy of the applicant’s diploma. If the diploma is from a foreign university, it must be notarized by the Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office (or equivalent) in the country in which the foreign university is located. This photocopy should be included in the application if possible, and successful applicants must provide it before their appointment is confirmed. For applicants who have just recently graduated and have not yet obtained a diploma, the application must include official proof from the applicant’s university that the applicant has graduated.
- Personal resume (including a copy of any relevant certifications)
- List of major publications since February 2014, additional publications from before February 2014, and any relevant additional information regarding the applicant’s academic works.
- Syllabi for two or three courses. Please go to http://echss.web.ym.edu.tw/files/11-1158-47.php and download the syllabus template 語言領域－英文課程大綱 (英文版).
- Two recommendation letters. Letters should be no more than one year old, and should be sent via email by the recommender. In the subject line of the email, please have the recommender write: Recommendation Letter for OOO (example: Smith John) Application for NYMU ECHSS: English Contract-based Teacher.
- Please send all of the above documents (including letters of recommendation) to the contact person, Ms. Jennifer Uang, by the deadline (please send the materials to both firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com). On the subject line of the email, please write: OOO (example: Smith John) Application for NYMU ECHSS: English Contract-based Teacher.
- The ECHSS at NYMU is required to collect personal information from application materials for “personnel recruitment” for the purpose of reviewing, evaluating, and making necessary contacts for recruitment during the recruitment period and within the region. Applicants are permitted to contact Ms. Jennifer Uang to request access to, supplement, and/or correct personal information; request a copy of personal information; request that personal information not be collected, processed, and/or used; request that personal information be deleted; and exercise other rights. If an applicant’s information is not fully provided, the university will not be able to complete the recruitment process.
- Applications that are incomplete at the time of the deadline will not be accepted.
- After the selection committee has evaluated the applications, a number of applicants will be invited to interview and deliver a teaching demo at the university. The selection committee will rank applicants based on teaching ability and research potential, and on the current needs of the ECHSS.
- The selection committee may select and rank up to five applicants. The top two applicants will move on to the next stage in the application process, while the bottom three applicants will be waitlisted. In the event that there are no qualified applicants, the selection committee will not rank any applicants.
The date of receipt of application materials will be set by the contact person’s computer. The contact person will send out a response message within three days (excluding holidays) after receipt of the e-mail. If a response message is not received after three days, please contact:
Ms. Jennifer Uang
Tel: (02) 2826-7000 Ext. 5296
Note: The Chinese version of the job advertisement is the official version of the advertisement, and in the event of any possible misunderstanding, the ECHSS will follow the wording of the Chinese job advertisement.